Offering 0pen and Honest Professional Advice
deSuggestopedia - hgunn.uk
Why deSuggestopedia is not proven teaching, learning method?
Wikipedia suggests that de-Suggestopedia method:-
“ Is a teaching method developed by the Bulgarian psychotherapist Georgi Lozanov. It is used mostly to learn foreign languages.
The theory applied positive suggestion in teaching when it was developed in the 1970s. However, as the method improved, it has focused more on "desuggestive learning" and now is often called "desuggestopedia".
common misconception is to link "suggestion" to "hypnosis".
However, Lozanov intended it in the sense of offering or proposing, emphasising
Physical surroundings and atmosphere in classroom are the
vital factors to make sure that "the students feel comfortable and
confident", and various
techniques, including art and music, are used by the trained teachers.
Suggestopedia has been called a "pseudo-science".
It depends, in a sense, on the trust that students develop towards the method. Lozanov never admitted that Suggestopedia can be compared to a placebo. He argues, however, that placebos are indeed effective.
Another point of criticism is brought forward by Baur, who claims that the students only receive input by listening, reading and musical-emotional backing, while other important factors of language acquisition are being neglected.
Furthermore, several other features of the method – like the 'nonconscious' acquisition of language, or bringing the learner into a childlike state – are questioned by critics.
It also refers to the method “Covering a huge bulk of learning material”
This is a summary of a Lazanov interview.
Lazanov is described in the Ytube interview as a physician. He explains that the method applies listening to music and listening to teacher. He refers to creating a psychological state. He claims the brain become able to accept more information.
Lazanov argues that conversational knowledge of German can be acquired in one month 24 days through applying four 45 minute periods and that 2,000 words together with the whole grammar can be learnt in that time.
He claims that all subjects can be taught in this way.
Lazanov claims to be a physician. He has also been described as psychotherapist. There is no evidence he has ever taught anyone. He is not an educationalist. He is not a cognitive scientist.
It is now 2020 not the 1970s. The method at the very least is past its sell-by-date.
The fact that he claims the method can be used in any subject shatters the credibility of his claims. He is clearly a crank. The Cockcroft Report took five years to research and compile in one the most researched subjects in the world. If his eccentric claims worked, then surely someone would have found it.
It is little wonder that someone on the podcast admitted that despite children she taught enjoyed the method, that she was told in Malaysia she would be sacked if she continued to use the method. It is method of entertaining learners. It is not a teaching method.
It appear to be used by tutors to throughout the world to entertain learners, because they do not have a clue how to teach new language.
The concept that music can enhance learning, what is referred to as the Motzart effect was blown years ago. His claim that new language learners can fluently learn the grammar and 2,000 words is more than silly. He could never have proved that.
Research illustrates learners will struggle to develop a 1,500 vocabulary in ,German practising it every day for three years. It obvious his claims are absolute phantasy. Dishonest appears to be the most appropriate word to use.
The concept of real teaching was not developed until the 1980s. It is now 2020 not the 1970s.
The input view of learning refers to Stephen Krashen totally discredited input theory, which is based up the theory that learners will pick up language subconscious if tutors do not bother to teach it. Saville Troike a world Authority on language teaching and leaening referred
to the methods dying out in the 1990s in America. It is method that has been tried and failed.
deSuggestopedia primarily devoted to developing positive attitudes. Coleman and Klapper (2006) in their researched book refer to students learning using the methods sitting in arm chairs. Effective language teaching reduces anxiety.
It pure terms de-Suggestopedia is not a method. Anyone using it are not teaching.
There has been a vast amount of educational and cognitive research undertaken since the 1970s. All de-Suggestopedia offers is method for incompetent new language tutors to deceive and entertain learners. If what Lazanov claims were possible, then surely someone would have found it. It is not clear what planet he has come from.
Principles about Second Language Learning
1. There are no gaps between words which is why new language learners find it difficult to identify individual words.
2. Words are stored in semantic memory. they cannot be learnt subconsciously in formative learning. There is no such thing as a subconscious memory store.
3. Children's language acquisition is biologically primary, which means that adults cannot learn like young children.
4. Young children are more conducive to learning a new language especially the language phonological and grammar. Unless adults learn new language phonology in childhood there is some language sounds they will never be able to produce.
5. Learners are not inanimate objects where words or chunks of language can be poured into the brain like petrol in a tank. What is referred to the feed the duck method of learning.
6. Facts like words and phrases are learnt through distributed practice. It a process like painting, where the paints needs to dry before what is being learnt is revisited.
6. 50% of facts, which words are, is lost within a hour of learning them.
7. Learners can successfully learn a language through memorising phrases or stories. Learners need to engage in extensive construction to develop fluent language capability.
8. Research suggests it will take around three years of daily practice to bring a 1,500 fluent vocabulary into fluent usage.
9. Cramming will cause interference it will be like attempting to hold to many oranges in one's hands at at once. All will be lost.
10. There is no credence to the Mozart effect. Music does not enhance learning. It does not allow a vast amount of language to be learnt. Music and language both pass through the phonological loop of working memory.
Proven methods are derived from proven methods there are no 'miracle' methods of learning as Processor Sarah Eaton. Anyone practising 'unique' methods will not be applying proven methods. A vast amount of research has gone into education in the last two decades.
There is no clear distinction between learning a new language than learning anything else. The aural aspects of language learning reflect musical learning.
Children do not learn their native language sub-consciously. They are not tape recorders. They do learn it naturally with parental support. New language learning resembles learning maths, because learners need to develop new skills into fluency.
Learners are advised to purchase the Open University *Success with Languages" Hurd and Murphy (2004). Academics language research is provided by Coleman and Klapper (2006). There are twenty-one second language authorities contributing to that book. Reference to deSuggestopedia as proven method is not referred to in these references.
John Sweller - English as a Second Langauge - Paper
This paper explains why adults cannot learn languages like young children, because their language is acquired as biological primary skill.
Mortimer, D. The Confessions of a Welsh Learner
Gunn H.J.D. - Political Dreams: Practical Realities: The Future of the Welsh Language and Welsh learning.
Christina Kirch - Krashen's Input Model has No Validity (Click below)